Sunday, September 11, 2011

Come On In ... Sit Right Down!

I’m starting to think I’m our neighborhood’s local alley cat!  I LOVE finding people’s “trash” and turning it into something beautiful!  The hubs started calling me “Alley Cat” as a joke and it has now turned into my nickname around the house!  As much as I hate cats, I’m okay with the name (Sorry all you cat lovers!). 


We found two beat up chairs the other weekend and knew we had to do something with them!  The spindles were coming off, they were covered in cobwebs – they were just BEAT UP!  So, being the “Alley Cat” that I am, I snatched those babies up, loaded them into my car, and took them to a loving home that they deserved!!! 

Here’s what I had to work with …





They are beautiful chairs – they just needed some elbow grease and a fresh coat of paint.

I attached the spindles back together and used wood glue to secure both the spindles and the seat together.  I let that dry overnight – I wanted to make sure these suckers stayed intact.  I woke up the next morning and put a couple of coats of Heirloom White on them and then let that dry.  Once the paint was completely dry, I grabbed my sanding block and started the distressing process.  I didn't realize how much the paint soaked into the chairs.  It took A LOT of elbow grease for this but it was well worth it! 

Here’s what I ended up with …








I’m really happy on how these turned out.  They definitely look ten times better than what they did.  They have come a long way from sitting in the alley to sitting in our kitchen now.  We are going to use them as extra seating when people come over for dinner – That doesn’t mean I have to cook, does it?  Lord help us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment