Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Mirror Needed Some Company

Now that I made the wooden trough for our kitchen table, there seemed to be something missing in our “dining area”.  We have a framed mirror on the opposite wall but the mirror looked so lonely hanging up there all by itself, and that’s when I had my idea!  I will make my mirror some friends!  Mason jar sconces anyone?
After making random projects throughout the house, my garage is filled with extra wood.  Even if I didn’t have the wood to make this, it would cost under $10 to make.  What I did was measure how long I wanted the sconces to be and how big I wanted my shelf to be for my mason jars to sit on.  Then, I had the hubs cut me my pieces.  Thanks Nater!  J 
I used gorilla glue (this stuff is awesome) to attach my pieces together.  I wanted to make sure the wood would hold together so I put some nails in the pieces to tighten the wood together.  Once that was done and dried, I was ready to paint.  I gave it a quick coat of heirloom white spray paint and then then went to town on the distressing.  I found it to stain the distressed edges with a small paint brush.  It made the process less messy. 
The sconces looked great but I felt like there needed to be some kind of decorate piece at the top of it so I just used what I had on hand and grabbed some black cardstock and used my Silhouette machine to cut out a fleur de lis (I lurrve me some fleur de lis)!  I had to think about how I would stick it to the wood … Mod Podge it?  I really didn’t want to Mod Podge it.  I was having a lazy day so I grabbed my 3M spray adhesive and sprayed it to the sconce.  It worked purrfect!!!  I love easy projects! 


So here’s the final project … what do you think? 


I found my inspiration at http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment